Thursday, February 9, 2012
Cinnamon Streusel Coffee Cake
Anne’s Cinnamon Streusel Coffee Cake -
From The Cake Mix Doctor
This recipe begins with your favorite box of yellow cake mix. The 21.6-ounce cake mix is the Cake Mix Doctor’s Old-Fashioned Yellow cake mix, which you can find in stores near you or order online.
Makes 12 servings
Prep: 15 minutes
Bake: 50 to 55 minutes
1 package (21.6 ounces) Cake Mix Doctor’s Old-Fashioned Yellow Cake Mix
For the Filling:
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 cup finely chopped pecans
For the Batter:
1 cup sour cream
½ cup vegetable oil
½ cup water
4 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
2 tablespoons milk
1. Place a rack in the center of the oven, and preheat the oven to 350°. Grease and flour a Bundt pan, and set the pan aside.
2. For the filling, measure out 2 tablespoons of the cake mix and place in a small bowl. Stir in the brown sugar, cinnamon, and pecans. Set the filling aside.
3. Place the remaining cake mix, sour cream, oil, water, eggs, and vanilla in a large mixing bowl, and blend on low speed for 30 seconds. Increase the mixer speed to medium and blend until smooth, 1 to 2 minutes longer.
4. Pour half of the batter into the prepared pan. Scatter the filling over the top of the batter. Pour the remaining batter over the filling. Place the pan in the oven.
5. Bake until the cake springs back when lightly pressed with a finger, and it is golden brown, 50 to 55 minutes. Remove the cake from the oven, and let it cool in the pan 20 minutes. Run a knife around the edges of the pan, and invert it onto a rack to cool completely, 45 minutes.
6. Meanwhile, prepare the glaze by stirring the milk into the confectioners’ sugar. Drizzle the glaze over the top of the cake and let rest 15 minutes to let the glaze set. Or omit the glaze and just dust with confectioners’ sugar. Place the cake on a platter, slice and serve.
Bundt pan is available from William Sonoma.